9.01.2009

Scammer

I had a fun time this morning messing with some person who was trying to scam me through Facebook. They must have hacked into my friend's account, so the following is the IM dialogue between me and supposedly a girl I went to middle school with but haven't seen or talked to since 8th grade...

"Laura": Hello Kim
Me: hi
"Laura": how are u doing?
Me: good, how are you?
"Laura": not fine! I'm in a mess right now and i really need your help
Me: oh no, what's wrong?
"Laura": I'm stranded in london, got mugged at gun point last night
Me: really
"Laura": yeah...all cash on me has been stolen including my credit cards and my phone
Me: who are you with?
"Laura": I'm just alone
Me: why are you in london?
"Laura": believe i'm really scared and freaked out here
well i had to visit a resort in london and i was robbed at the park close to the hotel where i lodged
Plaese can u help me?
Me: why don't you go back to the resort and have them call the police?
"Laura": I've done that...but what i need is to get back home,thats why i really need your help
Are u there?
Me: sorry, i think you need to get in touch with your parents or something
"Laura": Please i don't want my Mom to get freaked out,not for her present condition okay
please i'll appreciate anything from you
Me: wow, what's wrong with your mom?
"Laura": she's having HBP...but its not serious,so i don't want it to get serious now
really scared about her
so please anything u can help me with,i promise to refund the money back
Me: what about your dad or other family?
"Laura": Actually i didn't tell them i was coming here,it was suppose to be a short visit
my return flight leaves soon

Me: so why would you need money if you already have a flight?
"Laura": just to settle thr hotel bills i owe
its not fair if i leave like that
the manager has been of good help to me

Me: where have you been living that your English phrasing is kinda weird?
"Laura": look,i'm typing fast...u know how i feel right now
are u there?
Me: you know, considering i've heard of this scam before and i don't think a girl i haven't seen in 14 years would ask me to send money to london, i'm gonna have to get back to work now
"Laura": can u remember who i dated in high school?
Me: i didn't know you in high school
"Laura": forget
Laura is offline.

4 comments:

Mandy B said...

Kim, that's absolutely crazy! I'm so sorry that happened to you. Crazy!

Justine said...

That's hilarious! I'm glad you weren't silly enough to fall for that :)

hillary starrett said...

whoa! sketchy!

Tails from the City said...

That is so weird!!