11.03.2008

Quirks

I've been tagged by Kristin, April AND Amanda over the past month and a half to give 6 or 7 quirks about myself, so I should probably not shirk my blogging duty any longer!

(1) I always use white-out to correct mistakes when I'm writing - I cannot stand to cross things out! I use white-out in my journals, on my desk calendar, in class notes when I was in school, on birthday cards, you name it. I bring it with me when I go out of town and write in my journal. I even use white-out in my journals that have cream-colored paper, because it still looks better than a big black spot.

(2) I'm a little obsessed with calendars and writing my schedule in them. For instance, on my Outlook calendar at work, in addition to work meetings, I schedule in my workouts, TV shows I watch, every social event, important errands, church, birthdays, anniversaries, countdowns, Wade's schedule, my sister's pregnancy weeks, Carolina basketball & football games, etc. I also have things color coded with like 10 different colors for all the categories.

(3) To eat apples, I cut them in exactly 12 slices - in half, then each of those in half, then each of those I make a v-shaped cut to take out the core, then cut each of those in thirds. I don't like them cut with those little apple-corer things, or with a curved or haphazard cut to take out the core. It has to be a v-shape.

(4) I have 2 light switches at the top of my stairs - one that turns on the upstairs hallway light and one that turns on the stairway light. But each light also has another switch (at the opposite end of the hallway and at the bottom of the stairs), so up or down can be on or off depending on which one you used last time. I like to keep the 2 that are together going the same direction, so if they are going opposite ways I'll flip one and then walk to the other switch to turn the light on or off, depending on what I'm trying to do.

(5) I have even more specific procedures for cleaning and organizing the kitchen... When loading the dishwasher, certain types of plates go in certain slots, certain bowls go on the bottom rack while other types go on the top, silverware is loaded handle down in the bin, glass cookware and metal mixing-type spoons can be washed in the dishwasher, but only if it's almost full and I'm about to run it. Other cookware, pots, knives, etc. can only be hand washed. Dirty dishes stay on the right-hand counter beside my sink and they move left as I wash them, rinse/drain them, and then dry them on the left-hand counter.

(6) I don't really want to list any more of my OCD habits because it's a little embarrassing :).

Do you think I'm going to have a hard time after I get married trying to live with a boy? :) Or, do you think Wade is going to have a hard time after we get married? We better start that premarital counseling ASAP. Haha.

5 comments:

Kristin said...

Wow! What a great list of quirks!

I'm with you on the light switch thing! Ugh, drives me crazy! :)

Justine said...

Amen to #s 2 and 5 - although my knives go pointy-side down so no one gets injured.
Tips as you look toward marriage(!):
-I routinely have to rearrange the dishwasher, but I'm used to it by now.
-Journal and calendar shouldn't be an issue - you'll just have to add another color for Wade's activities, and ones you do together. Google Calendar is great for this.
-You might need to cut your own apples for a while.
-The light-switch fetish might need to be dropped!
-Premarital counseling is good, but I think the most important thing to remember is that you'll both have to compromise. It takes some getting used to... especially for those of us with OCD tendencies/Type A personalities :)

hillary starrett said...

you had better prepare wade for all of these quirks! :) you put your silverware in the dishwasher handle-down?! odd....

Anonymous said...

HAAHAHAHA!! Girl, THAT was a great way to start my day.

Sciencetapp said...

Maybe I should sleep in a tent