5.12.2008

New Job!

I am super excited about this news...

I have officially resigned from the Girl Scouts and accepted a job at Christ Covenant Church as the Media Production Coordinator! The new job seems like it will fit perfectly with my skills and experience, and I will be able to use both for God's kingdom instead of the world's.

I've had plenty of good times in my 3.5 years with the Girl Scouts and some co-workers whom I love, but recently I have been feeling very frustrated, discouraged, and disillusioned by the management and direction of the organization overall. I'm sure there are plenty of Girl Scout leaders and girls who love the Lord and seek to follow Him through their Girl Scout activities, but that is not the case with the "professional" part of the organization, which is more and more about seeking the approval and opinion of the wealthy and elite community members, wanting to boast about all the great things being done "for girls" that are actually quite self-serving. I also have a hard time wanting to devote my life to building girls' self-esteem through a program completely devoid of the One who actually gives them their true value.

God has truly been leading me in this whole process, and has been faithful even when I was fearful and anxious.

I'm also looking forward to...
(1) Working across the sidewalk from where Wade is going to be teaching next year :) and visiting him at lunch or after school
(2) Being 5 minutes from my mom's house, so I can visit on lunch breaks and chat with her on the porch by the waterfall
(3) Interacting with people I know from my days at Christ Covenant, and people who know my family and Wade's family
(4) Maybe getting to go on a work-sanctioned mission trip (if they have those :))
(5) Having prayer as an integral part of staff meetings and work in general
(6) Working for a boss who cares about my spiritual growth, as well as my relationships with family and life outside of work
(7) A 37.5 hour work week!

I finish up at the Girl Scouts right before Memorial Day weekend, and then I'm going to enjoy 2 weeks off to lay out by the pool, hopefully do some gardening, get some car repairs taken care of, hang out with Wade, distance myself from the negative environment I've been in and get ready for the next chapter :). I start at Christ Covenant June 9th!

5 comments:

Justine said...

Can we have lunch together sometimes too?

Unknown said...

Congratulations!!!! I really enjoyed dinner with you a couple weeks ago! Hope that you are doing well!

Kim Tapp said...

aah, justine, i was gonna mention you in there too and i must have forgotten by the time i got to the end of the post :(. yes, we will definitely have lunch sometimes too! i'm excited about that :).

Libba Lemon said...

So proud of you, honey girl! I'm way excited about the big transition!

kristen said...

Congratulations! That sounds like a good fit. I've always appreciated Christ Covenant as a sometimes visitor of the Sherrill clan.