10.16.2007

Praise the Lord!

Today we got great news about my mom's cancer... Her latest scan showed all the spots in her abdomen were gone and the bigger one in her pelvis stayed the same size as 2.5 months ago! I cannot even express how beautifully and gracefully God's hand has worked in her and through her and around her. She is absolutely His instrument and a really amazing picture to me of the sacrificial love of Christ, that she would see her own affliction as an opportunity to minister to others and be a light proclaiming the Lord's salvation in this world.

He has put people in her path like the store clerk at Belk's who was ringing her up the day she went to return a bunch of clothes she had just bought when she believed she wouldn't live long enough to wear them. The lady asked her reason for returning them and my mom said "you don't want to know" - but God led the conversation deeper and used my mom to comfort and encourage this woman, who it turned out was struggling with her own husband's recent cancer diagnosis. He has used her in the life of her neighbor, a younger mother with school-aged children, who has been re-awakened to spiritual things as a result of talking to my mom and is seeking to find the Truth, though she doesn't know what that Truth is yet.

Doctors and nurses have seen my mom's faith and trust in her heavenly Father constantly, and have seen Him sustain her body through surgeries and chemo treatments and radiation and side effects and growing tumors, not to mention the countless scans and needle sticks and bowel-clearing regimens she has endured.

My dad has been right by her side through all of this as well, seeing it up closer than anyone besides my mom and God Himself. I know Christ is at work in him too, because no other power would give him the strength and love he has shown my mom and our family. It is mind-boggling to me how big my mom's faith is, to be willing to endure all this and perhaps ultimately give her life that others would see and believe Jesus and be saved.

Praise the Lord, indeed!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

That is so exciting!!! I'm so happy for you guys, and just amazed at His work!!!

Unknown said...

I'm so glad to hear the update on your mom! Brad read the email to me last night and we both breathed a sigh of relief as he was reading it. We will continue to pray for your mom and your family. Praise God that He is touching so many lives by using your mom as a vessel!