10.10.2007

Wheelbarrow

I had an interesting day at the office today. It began at 6:55 when I was actually still in bed, but my boss called my cell phone to tell me that there had been a break-in at the council last night and somebody tried to steal my computer monitor and keyboard. A guy threw a rock through the glass front door, passed over Janet's cube (you would understand if you saw Janet's cube) and then mine is the next one he comes to. So he just yanks the monitor and keyboard, ripping the cords in half in the process and starts to take off. Extremely fortunately, a Girl Scout volunteer happened to arrive at that moment to drop something off in our drop-box, she made eye contact with the thief, he dropped the loot and got in his van, and she and her husband chased him down Independence Blvd to get his license plate number (stolen plate on a stolen van). The cops got there and dusted for fingerprints and collected blood evidence because he apparently cut himself coming through the broken glass.

After Katherine tells me this, I get up and get in the shower and start thinking, "Ok, when they dust my monitor for fingerprints, of course they're going to find mine. So if they question me, do I have an alibi? Yes, I was home at 11:30 last night and Jocelyn was here, so she can vouch for me. Also, why would I break into my own office to steal my own computer when I have a key?" Haha, my mind is a strange machine.

So when I get to the office, my monitor and keyboard are still intact and not cracked or smashed, but the keyboard doesn't seem to work, and when we turn off the computer to reboot, it won't turn back on again. So no computer for little Kimmie today. Not to worry - half the day is going to be taken up by a staff meeting slash FISH team event. I have to say, our staff meetings are quite long and often a little hokey, but I bet they're a lot better than a lot of people's.

And here's the real point of my story... during the FISH team event, we did this activity where we tried to see how many little words we could make out of the word WHEELBARROW. I won the game with 54 in the allotted time, but afterwards I couldn't stop looking at my paper and seeing more words, and since I didn't have a computer to go back and work on, I just kept going. By the time I got tired of it, I came up with 113 words you can make out of the word WHEELBARROW.

he row lob roe leer ne'er beer hear brawl
we bar bah hew reel were hole howl baler
or eel bow ewe real whoa brew arrow whaler
eh rob ole hoe bore bawl alee wheel abler
oh war oar lee hoar oral bowl blear barrel
ah low are bee blew ware awol whale harbor
lo wow ere raw blow brow boho elbow hebrew
ew lab err how wale hero hale rebel harrow
be orb woe heel able hobo brae whole warble
ha haw ear boar bale halo rear whorl
ow wee ore heal role robe rare whore
ab ale awl lear whew bare lore below
aw web law we're blah bear wore bowel

heck yeah, baby...i was pretty proud of myself.

1 comment:

hillary starrett said...

whoa. you're smart....and have way too much time on your hands!! :)