11.01.2007

A Day in the Life of a Girl Scout

So I really need to get my blogging butt in gear. Hopefully the upcoming holidays and general festivity will inspire me and give me lots of opportunities to post pictures and such!

The last few weeks, I have been dealing with a few semi-crises at work that are hopefully going to be resolved before I get more headaches from them. They mostly center around the fact that our website's security certificate expired without any of us knowing, so a security warning message pops up before you can check out at our online store or give money on our donation page. Even though our site is still secure in the meantime, it makes a lot of people uncomfortable, so it was my job to get a new certificate as soon as possible. I feel like I have gotten all these new bits of knowledge about website security and servers and hosting companies and various techie internet terms, although I doubt I could put it all together coherently. But it still feels cool to say things like "You need to check the SMTP on the server because it seems to have gotten hosed" and "I need a new CSR with the correct domain name in order to purchase the cert for our site."

The rest of my days at work have been consumed with preparing for our annual photo shoot, which is this Saturday. This is definitely NOT my favorite part of my job, but it has to be done and done well if I am going to have the pictures I need to do my job the rest of the year. Unlike other Girl Scout programs, which they register for through our experienced, knowledgeable customer service department, this event is all me. So my quiet little cube world has been intruded by phone calls and emails from all these troop leaders and parents wanting to sign 18 million people up at a time. I have an irrational phone phobia, so I usually let them leave a message, then I look them up in our membership database and email them back! Haha, I'm so sneaky.

The photo shoot also presents a difficult and very non-PC situation - namely, trying to maintain a racial/ethnic balance in the girls who participate so that our marketing materials reflect racial diversity the rest of the year. I get lots of Caucasian girls signing up right away, but I can't let the whole thing fill up with them. So a couple weeks in, I have 80-some white girls and nobody of any other race, and I have to start affirmative action measures. I have to check our database for the girl's race before emailing her mom back and saying "oh my gosh, we'd LOVE to have your daughter participate" (if she's non-white), or "I'm sorry, this is such a popular event, we have a waiting list already and I'll have to get back to you if I find room for your daughter." I feel so wrong essentially lying to people, but I can't very well say "yeah, all our white spots are full, better luck next time."

Then I also get the moms who call to register their daughter and I say ok, and then a week or 2 later they think they registered their whole troop of 20 white Junior Girl Scouts. Because of those situations, and subsequently trying to even out the racial imbalance by allowing even more non-white girls to register, I now have to manage and direct 250 girls and their parents and troop leaders during a 4-hour period on Saturday morning. Yikes.

Pray for my sanity to make it through the day. After that, hopefully it will be coasting downhill til I get to visit Wade next week and life becomes a little easier.

Also, allow me to brag on my wonderful boyfriend, who had 10 rebounds and 6 points in the Covenant Scots' first basketball game (and win) of the season last night! Way to post up, baby! (Was that proper terminology?)

2 comments:

Sciencetapp said...

That's gawbage sistew... having to put up with you is like having to put up with gawbage... I don't know where you get off, but it's definitely not at the homestaw station anymo!

Libba Lemon said...

so how was saturday???