3.06.2008

The crazy place where I spend my days

Growing up in Girl Scouts, I never imagined I would work for them one day. For that matter, I never knew there was a headquarters with staff at all. But things were meant to be I guess, because the job kinda fell in my lap years down the road. Now I've been working here more than 3 years, and I'm pretty sure this is not a very normal place to work sometimes. So here are a few quirky things I thought about us:

6 Quirky Things About Working At the Girl Scouts
(1) Almost 60% of our organization’s budget depends on a non-professional sales force of little girls selling cookies.
(2) Our staff meetings are half-day affairs, often including a large amount of food, word scramble games or craft-making contests.
(3) We get 20 vacation days, 2 personal days and 12 sick days a year, right off the bat (no tenure required), plus another couple vacation days for giving money to the Girl Scout and United Way fund raising campaigns.
(4) Only 2 men work in our office – and about 40 women.
(5) You have to wear your Girl Scout uniform to work on Juliette Low’s birthday and the Girl Scout birthday.
(6) My first day of work - no joke - was spent in a little cabin in Rowan County on the coldest day of the year, and we cooked our lunch over a fire and made brownies in a dutch oven (basically a cardboard box covered in aluminum foil that you heat with individual coals).

3 comments:

Libba Lemon said...

MAN do I miss those paid vacation days! Not so much the staff meetings...except all the free chocolate and breakfast.

Score me a box of Lemon Chalet Creams if you see one! Ours are way gone.

Justine said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Justine said...

So... do they need any full-time people over there to run their computer networks or anything? B/c my hubby would happily be the 3rd male at the place for a chance to have that much vacation!
And I'm only partly kidding :)