3.03.2008

The Third List

3 Books I'd Recommend Reading:

The Mark of the Lion series by Francine Rivers
(1) A Voice in the Wind
(2) An Echo in the Darkness
(3) As Sure As the Dawn

I LOVE the book Redeeming Love by Francine Rivers, and I had heard from friends in years past that the Mark of the Lion series was good. I had never read it, but then Wade's mom had all 3 books and let me borrow them.

It's so fun to actually get into reading. I was a big reader when I was younger (Babysitters' Club, Nancy Drew, some of the Boxcar Children books, and some more intelligent reads...I'm almost sure). But then school decided to squash my desire to read for pleasure by assigning a million books to read for work, tests and papers for the next 10+ years. I never regained the desire very strongly, even after college, and when I tried I had a hard time staying awake when I read anything. But occasionally now a book will come along that I can really get into and read for hours and not be able to put down.

I've actually only read the first 2 so far. I just started the 3rd book this weekend. They are set in ancient Rome, about a generation or so after Jesus' death. The first two center on a young Jewish Christian girl who gets sold as a slave to a Roman family. I won't recap the whole plot, but let's just say I was sobbing at the end of the first one and cheering at the end of the second one :). I think the third one focuses on one of the other characters introduced in the first book.

Anyway, good reads... especially for girls who like a good romance mixed with truths about God.

3 comments:

Justine said...

These books are amazing! And, for what it's worth, my brother likes them too -- and he's none to feminine!
I'll go ahead and give you a "fourth list" - Four books you should read next:
1) The Eleventh Hour
2) A Rose Remembered
3) Escape to Freedom
4) Dawn of Liberty
-- otherwise known as Michael Phillips' "Secret of the Rose" series. "Mark of the Lion" is a good warm-up, as these are some long books, but they are amazing, if my memory serves me! WW2 Germany -- Christian romance/intrigue/historical fiction. And I think I have all 4 if you want to borrow them :)

Kim Tapp said...

word...sounds great justine! i'm making it through the last mark of the lion book pretty quickly, so i may be coming to you soon :).

Libba Lemon said...

I have this great book on the subject of "damp" that I think you'd LOVE.