3.01.2008

The First List

I think I'm going to try to make the number of items in each list correspond to the date in March as much as I can, so sorry if you feel gypped by this March 1st "list":

The 1 Type of Orange I Like Best
(1) Florida Temple Oranges

These are the greatest oranges in the world. I know Wade disagrees and thinks clementines are all that, but seriously, there are few things better in life than a temple orange. They have an extremely short season - from the very end of January to the very beginning of March - so I try to eat as many as I can in that time period. Once January hits, I count the days until I see the first ones in the grocery store, and then I smile and jump with glee when I do. Temple oranges are pretty much the only redeeming factor about the last 6 weeks of winter for me.

There is a very specific way to eat a temple orange as well - taught to me by my dad many years ago. You put the orange on a cutting board, take a big serrated knife, and cut it in half. There are a lot of seeds, so you take each half over the kitchen sink and dig the seeds out with the tip of the knife. Then you sit the half on its round end (cut side up) and cut it in half again, and those pieces in half again (so you have eighths of the whole orange). Then you set each eighth on it's side and cut off the white pith stuff that was in the interior of the fruit. I then cut each of those eighths in half again, ending up with 16 glorious bites of joy. To eat them, you pick up the slice, which resembles a tall triangle, put the top point of the triangle against your top teeth, and pull the fruit away from the peel with your teeth. Savor the sweet and tart juicyness, and swallow.  Repeat 15 times.

1 comment:

Libba Lemon said...

I completely forgot about your Temple Orange obsession...has it been a whole year already!?